Thursday, July 14, 2005

Happy Camper

Darlings,
I'm back from the woods. I'm tan, I've read several novels, and I've kicked up my stamina a bit by having gone on several ridiculously long hikes. Long and vertical. I wasn't prepared for hand over foot climbing, but I'm glad I did it because now I finally get why people hike: from up on top there are some pretty amazing views!

"Payoff," my hiker friends tell me, "that's called the payoff."

So now I'm back in the city, eager to maintain my tan, and looking for ways to incorporate exercise into my everyday life. Just last night, for example, girlfriend and I WALKED to our favorite bar.

New Kid's recent success writing has got me kind of excited to get back to work, though. And since I'm living on a summer research grant, I really can't justify not getting work done this summer. But first, I have to fix up my office, so I'm off to Ikea for some good-enough-for-now bookshelves, and maybe a new trashcan.

If you got here via my comments on New Kid's music post, I realize I spelled frenetic and neurasthenic wrong. I didn't want to comment again, because that's kind of hoggy, but I wouldn't want anyone to think I, of all people, can't spell those two pivotal words.

2 Comments:

Blogger La Lecturess said...

Margo, darling--
wanted to say that I LOVE the idea of dressing to suit one's writing project, as seen on NK's blog.

I've never done that, but when I was in college I'd pull a similar trick: after pulling an all-nighter or a near-all-nighter, I'd make sure I had time for a proper shower, blow-dry, and face-make-up, and would dress in something unusually chic...all to trick myself into feeling fabulous and pulled together for as many hours as possible. Worked, too.

(And finally, as a fellow Peggy Lee and Bette Davis fan, I wanted to say I'm so happy to have found your blog, a month or two back.)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Margo, darling said...

When I was in college, and frequently did the 12 hour drive between home and school by myself, I had a rule to never road trip without being showered and having freshly-shaved legs. Because when you are in a car with no air-conditioning, driving the I-15 through places like Barstow and Baker, you'd damn better at least have smooth, nice smelling skin for the sweat to roll down.

Next time I pull an all-nighter (please god, no, no more) I'll remember your advice.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home