Friday, April 14, 2006

Quick, dumb thought

So I'm about three and a half hours into a seder dinner and we're deep into a feminist retelling of Exodus, wherein Miriam figures way more prominently than Moses, and I'm hungry--all I've eaten is some something green and grassy, representing bitter herbs, dipped in salt water, and my mind wanders and it hits me, re: Gwyneth and Chris's offspring:
Apple=Genesis
Moses=Exodus
next baby's name will have to come from Leviticus. Any guesses? Aaron? Eleazar? Ithamar?

6 Comments:

Blogger La Lecturess said...

Shellfish?

4:13 PM  
Blogger La Lecturess said...

Ritual uncleanness?

4:16 PM  
Blogger Margo, darling said...

Totally! I was thinking maybe Sodomy, or, if they wanted some real cultural capital and a nod to Wilde, Somdomite.

There's an article about celebrity names in the NYT and it quotes Gwyneth explaining that she liked the name Apple because it's sweet, clean, and biblical. Yikes! I thought I was making a joke.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Michael LeVan said...

I think it will be Aaron. I know it isn't a very funny guess, but it is the right answer.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to go with Tabernacle (Leviticus 1:1), Frankincense (2:1), or Pomegranate--OK, that one's not actually in Exodus, but it shows up in Exodus and Numbers, and it fits in with the Apple thing.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Margo, darling said...

Pomegranate wins, 100%!!!! Runner-up is Frankincense, though I still have a fondness for Shellfish Martin. You could even use the Spanish version, Mariscos.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home