Monday, December 31, 2007

happy new year

This is just a quick post, because I'm on my way to what promises to be a pleasantly mellow New Years party, but when I saw What Now at the MLA blogger meet-up (Thanks for organizing, Dr. Crazy!) she said it wasn't very clear whether or not I was still pregnant, since I've discussed it primarily in terms of numbers that don't make much sense to people not in the ttc whirl. Oops. Sorry about that.

Yes, as far as I know, I am still pregnant. Since I can't feel anything (other than a little nauseated, incredibly tired and hungry all the time, and like my breasts have been replaced by enormous, pulsing, hot sandbags that hurt from their deepest core.) I have to trust the doctor and ultra-sound technicians on this. I'm about nine weeks along. I've had three ultra-sounds, all of which showed a strong, steady heartbeat and an embryo increasing in size just the way it should.( Actually, now that I'm past eight weeks I get to call it a fetus. Hooray! Recently, though, I keep wanting to call it Simon and Schuster. My friend says that's because carrying it makes me incorporated.)

I graduated from the fertility clinic (which I loved. Any readers in the Chicago area who want to know about it, please drop me a line. They were amazing.) and the day after Christmas GF and I met my dyke ob/gyn. She's delivered two of my favorite colleagues' babies and is straight forward and down to earth, which is exactly what I hoped for. While she didn't do an ultra-sound she did an, uh, more hands on examination and said that I did indeed feel pregnant. (I think her words were, after I anxiously asked, "Oh, yeah, you're pregnant.") My next ultra-sound is in a week, when I'll be about eleven weeks along. Twelve weeks marks the end of the first trimester, when the chance of miscarrying goes down to 5%, but the doctor said if everything looks good next week I can feel pretty confident about this. In the mean time, gf and I are trying to be positive and trying to enjoy the experience of being pregnant, because right now, as far as we know, we are.

So that's my update. I have all sorts of end-of-year things I want to blog about, but I don't know when I'll blog next because I had some GREAT talks with acquiring editors at MLA and they made me want to do a few more revisions on my book proposal (seems less literary is a stronger sell. if that's true, my book is way more done than I had anticipated) and then I need to write the syllabus for that class I'm teaching, starting on, oh, let's see. . .

THURSDAY!!!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Crazy said...

First of all, because I don't think I've done so yet, congrats about the fetus! embryo! baby in progress! This is excellent news :)

And I'm so glad I got to meet you finally, Margo! You should also know that one of the things that I realized at MLA was that one of my 5-year-plan type goals is that I need to get myself in a position where if in 5 years I'm not happier in the current location that I'd be in a position (financially, job-wise) to end up in yours =)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Hilaire said...

Happy New Year to you!! What an exciting year 2008 looks like it may be for you.

Congrats, congrats on all! And I'm *sooooo* pleased to hear about your doctor.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, dear M. I envy that little one inside you. S/he will be so loved.

Happiest New Year!

Love from the former "lucyrain."

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there. not particularly blog savvy, can't find your email to drop you a line ... BUT my partner and i are new to chicago, and hoping to start the TTC process soon. what clinic did you use??? and who is this dyke OB? thanks in advance for the resources!! jencas20009 at yahoo .dot com thanks!

7:50 AM  
Blogger What Now? said...

Hooray for Simon & Schuster! And hooray for getting to see each other at MLA!

I had a tiny moment this morning of feeling sorry for myself because school starts on Monday ... and now I will stop that immediately.

Blessings to you and GF and Simon & Schuster in 2008.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Deb Cohler said...

And GOOD FOR YOU for talking to the editors at MLA. I'm glad you got some good feedback, and you GO girl! I was thinking of you...
Drop me a note and give juicy details if you have time between classes.
Brava, sweetie!!

5:01 PM  
Blogger gwoertendyke said...

i'm SO glad i at least got to see you, even if briefly! keep taking care of yourself, margo, and laughing. you are still hilarious! i'm calling next time in chicago without puking child....xoxo, AW

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hey: my heartiest congranulations, my dears. what wonderful news -- and good luck with the remaining 6 months! will try to get up there to see you SOON. xx, jf in kc

1:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats! Can you send me the name of your clinic & especially your ob/gyn? I'm in Chicagoland. Thanks!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, so glad to hear you're still pregnant! Wow, baby and a book. What a year for you. Enjoy working like crazy now... oh you know what everyone says. See a lot of movies, go out for dinner, enjoy many dates with each other for someday you will have to pay a sitter!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home